Shop & Establishment Act
While planning to enter into the world of trade and industry, you need to design not only your business strategies, product/service model, financing options, but also formulate a widespread list of all the necessary regulations that your business unit will have to conform such as the taxation bye laws, licensing requirements, etc.
One such important legislation is the Shops and Establishments Act, enacted by every state in India to regulate conditions of work and to provide for statutory obligations of the employers and rights of the employees in an un-organized sector of employment and other establishments in their jurisdiction.
This act applies to a Commercial Establishment including:
- A commercial or trading or banking or insurance establishment, or
- An establishment or administrative service in which persons employed or mainly engaged in office work, or
- A hotel, restaurant, boarding or eating house, a cafe or any other refreshment house or
- A theater, cinema or any other place of public amusement or entertainment.
Every shop/establishment is compulsorily required to register itself under this Act within 30 days of commencement of work.
- Filing Application: An application form detailing the requisite details about the establishment and the employer along with the prescribed fee need to be sent to the Inspector (Chief Inspector of shops or other inspectors under the act)
- Examination: On verifying the application thus received, inspector shall register the establishment in the register of establishments.
- Issue of registration certificate: On satisfying himself upon the genuineness and completeness of the application, Inspector shall issue certificate of registration to the applicant. This certificate has to be prominently displayed at the establishment and needs to be renewed upon expiry of the same
Closure of Business:
In case of closure of business, the same has to be communicated to the concerned authorities within 15 days from the closure of the establishment.
- Filing application for registration under the Shop & Establishment Act.
- Paying renewal dues in the prescribed manner, as required.
- Renewing registration certificate upon expiry of the same.
- Surrendering of Registration certificate upon closure of the business.
- Consultancy on any other matters related to Shop & Establishment Act.